Re: Question about hardware detection

[Stephan Foley]
> Hi Petter and thanks for the reply.

Hi.

> Well, initally I was interested in stuff to use before installing xorg
> to get good hardware detection for configuring monitors especially. I
> wasn't aware of isenkram before, but it is very good to know about. I
> am assuming it is used after xorg is in place to detect new media?

The isenkramd program from the isenkram package provide a popup when new
hardware is inserted in the machine, while the tools in isenkram-cli do
not need X to work, and can provide a package list for hardware already
present in the machine when it was booted.

> When you say other packages, do you mean other packages normally
> pulled in by X11, or would it be a good idea to pull those in
> independently?

I mean packages like colorhug-client when the USB dongle for monitor
color calibration is inserted, or gpsbabel when a GPS is inserted, or
nbc when a Lego Mindstorm unit is inserted, or the correct printer
driver package when a printer is inserted, or the software needed to
talk to a RAID controller when that PCI device is detected, etc, etc.
See the modaliases file in the isenkram-cli package for other examples,
and test the isenkram package with its user space notification daemon.

> so, if it is better not to take up too much space on debian-edu, we
> can talk there instead.

I am already receiving too many emails, and do not have the capasity for
that mailing list.  I have no problem with more posts on the debian-edu
mailing list, happy you showed up. :)

--
Happy hacking