Re: Question about hardware detection

Hi Petter and thanks for the reply.

On Sun, Jan 10, 2016 at 3:46 AM, Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> wrote:

> Can you explain why you want to detect the hardware and what you plan to
> use that information for?

We are developing a Debian Fluxbox Blend intended to provide a core
desktop environment for the general user...so sound, networking, etc
are configured. There is special interest in thin clients and old
hardware.

I think the documentation I was reading was outdated...talking about
discover, read-edid and mdetect. I see that DebianEdu is still using
hwinfo (at least in Jessie), so I thought this might still be needed.

> There is a lot of hardware detection going on in Linux, and a lot of
> decisions taken based on this, mostly behind the scenes, which is also
> the topic of the post you point to.
>
> I am the author of isenkram, mentioned in the post, and it provide two
> pieces of the puzzle: mapping hardware to Debian packages, either user
> space packages or firmware blob packages.  The Linux kernel and udev and
> X.org handle other piezes of the puzzle.  Which piezes of the puzzle are
> you trying to improve?

Well, initally I was interested in stuff to use before installing xorg
to get good hardware detection for configuring monitors especially. I
wasn't aware of
isenkram before, but it is very good to know about. I am assuming it
is used after xorg is in place to detect new media?

> These days, the Debian Edu script only uses the hardware detection
> scripts to report the hardware in installation reports for debugging.
> All other parts of the hardware detection is handled by other packages.

When you say other packages, do you mean other packages normally
pulled in by X11, or would it be a good idea to pull those in
independently?

BTW, I started a thread on this:
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/blend-fluxbox-devel/2016-January/000065.html

so, if it is better not to take up too much space on debian-edu, we
can talk there instead.

Thanks for your time!

Steve