Re: Release

On Tue, Jul 05, 2016 at 11:27:41AM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> Running 'apt-get dist-upgrade' will not move from Wheezy to Jessie, if
> that is what you worry about.  For that you will need to edit
> /etc/apt/sources.list* first.
>
> There are problems associated with using APT to upgrade from Wheezy to
> Jessie, mostly associated the fact that any problem will leave you with
> a broken server (ie burning the bridge as you move over it).  For that
> reason alone I would recommend installing a replacement server and test
> it before dropping the old server.
>
> There is also the issue with configuration files (and conffiles)
> changing format and fields.  One need to be careful with those when
> upgrading using apt.

I'm aware that the original question was about upgrading from wheezy to
jessie, still I want to point out that what Pere described here a bit vaguely,
has been nicely and verbosely been documented in the manual:

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Documentation/Jessie/Upgrades

(translations exist)

> Luckily all of /etc/ is kept in git using etckeeper, so it is possible
> to figure out exactly what was changed during upgrades.

indeed.

--
cheers,
	Holger