Re: memberof overlay in ldap?

Hi Simon,

> We're trying to connect an owncloud (nextcloud soon) server to the ldap
> of the tjener, but we probably need the memberof overly in the ldap
> database (see for an example
> http://blog.adimian.com/2014/10/how-to-enable-memberof-using-openldap/)
>
> Though I'm a sysadmin, I'm not familiar with ldap and I don't know if
> this is possible in the tjener without breaking anything.
> Has anyone tried this, or does anyone know if this will break the tjener
> functionality?

No, adding the memberOf overlay will not break anything.

The overlay does not actually touch any data. It tracks changes to the members
of groups, and returns its knowledge when asked for it specifically.

The memberOf attribute will also not show up in any results unless added to
the attribute list specifically when querying the LDAP server.

While this answers your question, I'd like to ask why you think this is needed
for ownCloud/nextCloud. I did not need it in any of the ownCloud/LDAP
installations I set up so far.

Cheers,
Nik

--
PGP-Fingerprint: 3C9D 54A4 7575 C026 FB17  FD26 B79A 3C16 A0C4 F296

Dominik George · Mobil: +49-151-61623918

Teckids e.V. · FrOSCon e.V. · OpenRheinRuhr e.V.
Fellowship of the FSFE · Piratenpartei Deutschland
Opencaching Deutschland e.V. · Debian Contributor

LPIC-3 Linux Enterprise Professional (Security)