Re: FYI: 8.5 and 7.11 planning

On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 05:34:44PM +0200, Giorgio Pioda wrote:
> Well, what I see is that on old wheezy clients after a BrowsePoll
> i get the printers queues exactly like on the server. On Jessie
> clients after cups-browser work (and automatic BrowsePoll) I get the
> queues that looks differently. Both BrowsePoll are getting
> the queues from my jessie-tjener in productions since july 2015.
>
> I suspect that older cups-client gets ppd from tjener and that
> the newer Jessie cups-clients get the queues from the tjener BUT
> the ppd directly from the printer, just because of the new
> default ppd distribution policy of cups server. IIRC I read
> some time ago, somewhere, about this policy change in cups/ppd
> distribution. Maybe I'm totally wrong; but the different looking queues
> are there.

Thanks for the feedback, Giorgio.

As far as I know the printer detection on the network changed from cups
to mdns. So now the package libnss-mdns must be installed to assure the
detection. I've set up a Debian Edu jessie based VirtualBox environment.
After installing libnss-mdns on a workstation applications were aware of
the printers configured on tjener. The printers were added automaticly
to /etc/cups/printers.conf on the workstation.

Wolfgang