Hacking the ldm login screen

On 28/08/15 16:27, Simon Oosthoek wrote:
I want to change the bg of the login screen, not the individual desktops.

The background is the most prominent feature of the login screen, but
perhaps not of the desktops when in use ;-)

Just to continue in this thread...

I'm a lot closer now, as I now realise I want to hack the ldm login screen (I know I can change the greater to kdm, but I want to keep it as clean as possible and I'm not familiar with either)

I wonder if anyone knows how the resolution of the terminals is determined and what ldm does with the backgrond image to fit it?

Just to exercise my thoughts, as well as perhaps get a quick answer:

I'm assuming the actual resolution is determined by the x-server on the terminal, based on the capabilities of the graphics hardware.

The ldm greeter has to get the bg image and put it on the terminal, what happens:

size:
image < screen      : show borders (I know it doesn't do this)
image < screen      : scale up (keep aspect ratio)
image < screen      : scale up (break aspect ratio)
imageX/Y < screenXY : scale up to fill screen (keep aspect, so crop image)
imageX/Y < screenXY : scale to fill screen (break aspect, don't crop image)
image > screen      : scale down to fill screen (keep AR, crop if necessary)
image > screen      : scale down to fill screen (break AR, don't crop)
image > screen      : crop image (at right+bottom)
image > screen      : crop image after centering

or something else?

I don't know how/where to look to find out for sure, but I guess it's scaling to screen size and not cropping, breaking aspect ratio. Can anyone confirm this?

As we have (mostly) identical terminals, I'd like to create backgrounds from photo's which are fitted with a few partially translucent areas to fit the login text and the terminal name and the options menu, which become hard to read when they're on a dark background.

This can "easily" be done using imagemagick, but I need to figure out where the areas should cover the background to be useful and still nice to look at.

Cheers

Simon

PS, obviously (and in the spirit of freedom) I'll share my work on this with anyone who wants to use it too.