Free Tools Question

Hello everyone, I hope you are doing well:

I read very carefully what Benjamin Mako Hill (http://mako.cc/writing/hill-free_tools.html) wrote regarding that "Free Software Needs Free Tools" and I am wondering if possible to continue working on the Spanish translation of "debian-edu-doc" using free tools.

Of course, I do not know how difficult this could be, anyway, in case this is possible, it will be great if someone out there can point me where to begin my reading on using free tools for this matter.

Since my main reason to help, is because I would like to support FLOSS philosophy, I thought it is a good idea to ask you about this before continue with the translation efforts.

Thanks for reading this.

Regards.
Edgardo