Re: Customization of Skolelinux

Hi Franklin,

On  Mi 26 Feb 2014 08:37:00 CET, Franklin Weng wrote:

Maybe let me clarify more about my questions.

* My goal: to create a debian edu iso file suitable for our local use.

I have no idea, how the ISOs of Debian Edu are actually build. For this, Petter or Holger or (?) have to give advice and hints.

There is a "build" directory in SVN that you should look at (esp. the subfolder CD-administrator has a useful README). [1]

* Tasks: (first try)
  -- Fix the garbage characters shown in installer

-> should be fixable in package debian-edu-install [1]. Modify that package, rebuild it and make sure it gets included into the ISO build process.

  -- Change the system IP address and netmask

-> this has to changed in package debian-edu-config [2]. Do intelligent grepping for 10.0.2.2 and 10.0.0.0 and you will find several files that need to be fixed. You can also study the change-subnet script in the same package for further insights.

  -- Make the PxE boot menu default to diskless workstation

-> modify debian-edu-config, look for sbin/debian-edu-pxeinstall

  -- Change the desktop background, and XDG menu contents.

-> modify debian-edu-artwork (or rather fork it under a different name) for the background / artwork stuff. The XDG magic is also present in debian-edu-config.

I checked out the debian edu code from

svn://svn.debian.org/svn/debian-edu/trunk

For your first ISOs I would not bother with the SVN tree at all. It is nearly deprecated, anyway. I would take the package found in Debian wheezy, check them into a local Git repo and apply your changes on top of that.

You will need your own packaging archive that you can include as APT source into your default sources.list file.

but then... what to do next?

I have no any idea about how to generate an iso from it.

Me neither, sorry.

As for Debian Pure Blend, I'm reading http://blends.debian.org/blends/ now.
 My plan is to create and customize the skolelinux / debian-edu iso first,
then study how to merge into the debian edu blends.

We hope to create a useful demo iso before the end of March.  Could anyone
please give me some hints about how to do it?

Can anyone else give input on the ISO build stuff?

[1] http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/debian-edu/trunk/src/build/
[2] https://packages.debian.org/de/wheezy/debian-edu-install
[3] https://packages.debian.org/de/wheezy/debian-edu-config
--