Peek to debtags to see which packages to install by default?

As you probably are aware, packages in Debian are tagged, and these tags
can be used to find similar packages or relevant packages for a given
topic.  The golearn package will show all programs with the
use::learning tags and various "academic" fields set, and we provide
quite a few of these in the default installation.  The list of packages
shown by golearn can also be seen on the
web page.

But I have not been sure how many of these packages are installed by
default in Debian Edu Jessie, and decided to try to figure that out.

Running this command on a freshly installed Debian Edu Workstation give
the answer.  The installed packages are marked 'ii'.  The rest are not.
Not quite sure why some are known to dpkg while others are not.

% LANG=C dpkg -l $(debtags search "use::learning && role::program && interface::x11"|awk '{print $1}')
||/ Name                  Version         Architecture    Description
+++-=====================-===============-===============-===============================================
un  artha                 <none>          <none>          (no description available)
ii  atomix                2.14.0-5        amd64           puzzle game for building molecules out of separ
ii  audacious             3.5-2           amd64           small and fast audio player which supports lots
ii  audacity              2.0.6-1         amd64           fast, cross-platform audio editor
ii  blinken               4:4.14.1-1      amd64           KDE version of the Simon electronic memory game
un  celestia-glut         <none>          <none>          (no description available)
ii  celestia-gnome        1.6.1+dfsg-3+b2 amd64           real-time visual space simulation (GNOME fronte
ii  cgoban                1.9.14-17       amd64           complete Go board
ii  chemtool              1.6.14-1        amd64           chemical structures drawing program
ii  childsplay            2.6.5-1         all             Suite of educational games for young children
un  collatinus            <none>          <none>          (no description available)
ii  denemo                1.1.8-2         amd64           GTK+ front end to GNU Lilypond
ii  digikam               4:4.4.0-1       amd64           digital photo management application for KDE
ii  easychem              0.6-8           amd64           Draw high-quality molecules and 2D chemical for
un  electric              <none>          <none>          (no description available)
un  euler                 <none>          <none>          (no description available)
ii  freebirth             0.3.2-8         amd64           Bass synthesizer/sample player/sequencer
ii  freemind              0.9.0+dfsg2-1   all             Java Program for creating and viewing Mindmaps
un  freeplane             <none>          <none>          (no description available)
ii  gchempaint            0.14.9-1        amd64           2D chemical structures editor for the GNOME2 de
ii  gcompris              14.07-1         amd64           Educational games for small children
ii  gdis                  0.90-5          amd64           molecular and crystal model viewer
ii  geogebra              4.0.34.0+dfsg1- all             Dynamic mathematics software for education
ii  geomview              1.9.4-4.1       amd64           interactive geometry viewing program
ii  gimp                  2.8.14-1+b1     amd64           The GNU Image Manipulation Program
ii  gnuchess              6.1.2-1         amd64           Plays a game of chess, either against the user
ii  gnugo                 3.8-8           amd64           play the game of Go
ii  gperiodic             2.0.10-7        amd64           periodic table application
ii  gpredict              1.3-2           amd64           Satellite tracking program
ii  gpsim                 0.27.0-6        amd64           Simulator for Microchip's PIC microcontrollers
ii  grace                 1:5.1.24-2+b1   amd64           XY graphing and plotting tool
ii  graphmonkey           1.7-3           all             a GTK#-based graphing calculator
un  grass                 <none>          <none>          (no description available)
ii  gtans                 1.99.0-2        amd64           Tangram (puzzle) game using GTK+
ii  gtick                 0.5.4-1         amd64           Metronome application
ii  gtk-recordmydesktop   0.3.8-4.1       all             Graphical frontend for recordMyDesktop screenca
un  gtkwave               <none>          <none>          (no description available)
ii  hydrogen              0.9.6~beta3-1   amd64           advanced drum machine/step sequencer
un  italc-client          <none>          <none>          (no description available)
un  italc-master          <none>          <none>          (no description available)
ii  kalgebra              4:4.14.0-1      amd64           algebraic graphing calculator
ii  kalzium               4:4.14.0-1      amd64           periodic table and chemistry tools
ii  kanagram              4:4.14.1-1      amd64           jumble word puzzle
ii  kbruch                4:4.14.1-1      amd64           fraction learning aid for KDE
ii  kgeography            4:4.14.0-1      amd64           geography learning aid for KDE
ii  khangman              4:4.14.1-1      amd64           Hangman word puzzle
ii  khelpcenter4          4:4.14.1-1+b1   amd64           help center
un  kicad                 <none>          <none>          (no description available)
ii  kig                   4:4.14.0-1      amd64           interactive geometry tool for KDE
un  kino                  <none>          <none>          (no description available)
ii  kiten                 4:4.14.0-1      amd64           Japanese reference and study aid for KDE
ii  klettres              4:4.14.1-1      amd64           foreign alphabet tutor for KDE
ii  kmplot                4:4.14.1-1      amd64           mathematical function plotter for KDE
ii  kstars                4:4.14.1-1      amd64           desktop planetarium for KDE
ii  ktouch                4:4.14.1-1      amd64           touch typing tutor for KDE
ii  kturtle               4:4.14.1-1      amd64           educational programming environment
ii  kwordquiz             4:4.14.1-1      amd64           flashcard learning program
ii  librecad              2.0.4-1         amd64           Computer-aided design (CAD) system
un  lightspeed            <none>          <none>          (no description available)
ii  lilypond              2.18.2-3        amd64           program for typesetting sheet music
ii  lingot                0.9.1-2         amd64           accurate and easy to use musical instrument tun
ii  lmms                  1.0.3-4         amd64           Linux Multimedia Studio
ii  marble                4:4.14.1-1      amd64           globe and map widget
ii  mathwar               0.2.5-2+b1      amd64           A flash card game designed to teach simple math
ii  parley                4:4.14.1-1      amd64           vocabulary trainer
un  pitivi                <none>          <none>          (no description available)
ii  planets               0.1.13-14       all             Gravitation simulation of planetary bodies
ii  pymol                 1.7.2.1-1       amd64           Molecular Graphics System
ii  pysycache             3.1-3           all             Educational game to teach children to use the m
un  qgis                  <none>          <none>          (no description available)
un  qlandkartegt          <none>          <none>          (no description available)
un  qliss3d               <none>          <none>          (no description available)
un  rasmol                <none>          <none>          (no description available)
ii  recordmydesktop       0.3.8.1+svn602- amd64           Captures audio-video data of a Linux desktop se
un  rkward                <none>          <none>          (no description available)
ii  rocs                  4:4.14.1-1      amd64           graph theory IDE
ii  rosegarden            1:14.02-2       amd64           music editor and MIDI/audio sequencer
un  scilab                <none>          <none>          (no description available)
ii  scribus               1.4.4+dfsg1-1+b amd64           Open Source Desktop Page Layout - stable branch
ii  solfege               3.22.2-2        all             Ear training software
ii  stellarium            0.13.0-2+b1     amd64           real-time photo-realistic sky generator
ii  step                  4:4.14.1-1      amd64           interactive physical simulator for KDE
ii  stopmotion            0.7.2-1         amd64           create stop-motion animations
un  sunclock              <none>          <none>          (no description available)
ii  terminatorx           3.90-2          amd64           realtime audio synthesizer
un  thuban                <none>          <none>          (no description available)
ii  tuxmath               2.0.3-1         amd64           math game for kids with Tux
ii  tuxpaint              1:0.9.21-1.1    amd64           A paint program for young children
un  verbiste-gnome        <none>          <none>          (no description available)
ii  viewmol               2.4.1-20        amd64           A graphical front end for computational chemist
un  viking                <none>          <none>          (no description available)
un  vym                   <none>          <none>          (no description available)
ii  xabacus               8.0.0-2         amd64           simulation of the ancient calculator (plain X v
un  xaos                  <none>          <none>          (no description available)
un  xcircuit              <none>          <none>          (no description available)
ii  xoscope               2.0-3.2         amd64           digital oscilloscope
ii  xplanet               1.3.0-2+b2      amd64           planetary body renderer
un  xtide                 <none>          <none>          (no description available)
dpkg-query: no packages found matching achilles
dpkg-query: no packages found matching anki
dpkg-query: no packages found matching apoo
dpkg-query: no packages found matching auto-multiple-choice
dpkg-query: no packages found matching bibletime
dpkg-query: no packages found matching boats
dpkg-query: no packages found matching bugsx
dpkg-query: no packages found matching cultivation
dpkg-query: no packages found matching expeyes
dpkg-query: no packages found matching felix-latin
dpkg-query: no packages found matching freevial
dpkg-query: no packages found matching gamine
dpkg-query: no packages found matching gbrainy
dpkg-query: no packages found matching gns3
dpkg-query: no packages found matching gvrng
dpkg-query: no packages found matching gwaei
dpkg-query: no packages found matching kanatest
dpkg-query: no packages found matching kiki
dpkg-query: no packages found matching klick
dpkg-query: no packages found matching kmetronome
dpkg-query: no packages found matching laby
dpkg-query: no packages found matching langdrill
dpkg-query: no packages found matching linthesia
dpkg-query: no packages found matching littlewizard
dpkg-query: no packages found matching nlkt
dpkg-query: no packages found matching okteta
dpkg-query: no packages found matching opendict
dpkg-query: no packages found matching openrocket
dpkg-query: no packages found matching openteacher
dpkg-query: no packages found matching optgeo
dpkg-query: no packages found matching pauker
dpkg-query: no packages found matching perroquet
dpkg-query: no packages found matching pycode-browser
dpkg-query: no packages found matching pycorrfit
dpkg-query: no packages found matching python-acidobasic
dpkg-query: no packages found matching python-mecavideo
dpkg-query: no packages found matching python-whiteboard
dpkg-query: no packages found matching qsapecng
dpkg-query: no packages found matching qstardict
dpkg-query: no packages found matching ri-li
dpkg-query: no packages found matching scolasync
dpkg-query: no packages found matching sugar-calculate-activity
dpkg-query: no packages found matching sugar-pippy-activity
dpkg-query: no packages found matching tagainijisho
dpkg-query: no packages found matching tinyeartrainer
dpkg-query: no packages found matching tunnelx
dpkg-query: no packages found matching uligo
dpkg-query: no packages found matching xcwcp
dpkg-query: no packages found matching xdrawchem
dpkg-query: no packages found matching xiphos
dpkg-query: no packages found matching xletters
dpkg-query: no packages found matching zegrapher
%

Should we change the default application set?

--
Happy hacking