Re: Services to stop on a thin client?

On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 11:47:08AM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> There are some other services we should consider to disable on thin
> clients:
>
> anacron
> cron

cron maybe used for shutdown-at-night.

>    I suspect these are still active to ensure sitesummary-client is
>    reporting the client status regularly.  Do we need both?
>
> bluetooth
> avahi-daemon
> minidlna

As far as I know, these are running on diskless workstations only.

(If connected to the 192.168.x.x network, a client with enough RAM is
running as diskless workstation per default.)

> Other candidates are pulseaudio and polkitd, but I suspect both are
> needed also no thin clients.

I guess, yes:

This is the 'pstree' output on a thin client if a user is logged in:

systemd-+-avahi-daemon---avahi-daemon
        |-console-kit-dae-+-62*[{console-kit-dae}]
        |                 |-{gdbus}
        |                 `-{gmain}
        |-cron
        |-dbus-daemon
        |-exe
        |-login---bash---pstree
        |-polkitd-+-{gdbus}
        |         `-{gmain}
        |-pulseaudio-+-{alsa-sink-Intel}
        |            `-{alsa-source-Int}
        |-rsyslogd-+-{in:imklog}
        |          |-{in:imuxsock}
        |          `-{rs:main Q:Reg}
        |-screen_session---xinit-+-Xorg
        |                        `-ldm-+-sh-+-ltsp-localappsd-+-ltsp-localappsd
        |                              |    |                 `-xprop
        |                              |    `-ssh
        |                              |-ssh
        |                              `-{ldm}
        |-sitesummary-cli---sleep
        |-ssh
        |-sshd
        |-sshfs---3*[{sshfs}]
        |-systemd---(sd-pam)
        |-systemd-journal
        |-systemd-logind
        `-systemd-udevd
And this, if only the login screen is shown.

systemd-+-avahi-daemon---avahi-daemon
        |-console-kit-dae-+-62*[{console-kit-dae}]
        |                 |-{gdbus}
        |                 `-{gmain}
        |-cron
        |-dbus-daemon