Re: Add armhf architecture to our APT source for Raspberry Pi users?

Quoting Petter Reinholdtsen (2013-05-17 12:32:37)
> As you might have noticed on #debian-edu, I wrote the debian-edu-bless
> script to help our student Nirosan Thiyagalingam, supervised by our
> Marius Kotsbak in FRiSK, to "port" Debian Edu to Raspberry Pi.  This
> will allow schools to use these cheap computers as clients.
>
> I just blogged about the debian-edu-bless recipe in <URL:
> http://people.skolelinux.org/pere/blog/How_to_transform_a_Debian_based_system_to_a_Debian_Edu_installation.html
> >, but there is a small snag blocking those wanting to do this testing
> on their own.  Our whezy(-test) APT repositories do not provide the
> armhf architecture.

I can imagine how it might be helpful to provide an armhf flavor for
arch-all packages (whacky as it may sound).  But...

> The procedure only need the platform independent packages (ie
> debian-edu-install, debian-edu-config and debian-edu-artwork) to work,
> so we do not really need to build the debian-edu packages for armhf.
> At least not for the initial testing.

...your last remark here indicates that you may want to include
architecture-specific stuff later, which won't be so simple if you
want to support Raspberry Pi.

Not sure if you are already aware, but Raspbian, although branded as
"armhf" is not same architecture as the Debian "armhf".

Raspberry Pi is ARMv6.

Debian "arm" is optimized for ARMv5 but also works (albeit not using its
full potential) for ARMv6.

Debian "armhf" is optimized for ARMv7 and won't work for ARMv6 hardware.

I find it frustrating how the Raspberry Pi project has chosen to
label their code and promote it as Debian-compatible.

I think it will be most helpful to either setup a "raspbian" port with
(their different definition of) an "armhf" arch, or (simpler but less
exciting to use) extend the current Debian suite with an "arm" arch.

Hope that helps,

 - Jonas