Re: Reduce the server load by asking firefox to not cache on disk

On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 08:18:34AM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Nigel Barker]
> > I agree. I have been using the following on plain debian
> > workstations integrated into the SL network.
> >
> > http://bootpolish.net/home_ltsp_ltspiceweaselhacks
>
> Thanks.  These seem to be the relevant ones we should consider using
> in Debian Edu:
>
>   lockPref("extensions.update.enabled", true);
>   // Use LANG environment variable to choose locale
>   lockPref("intl.locale.matchOS", true);
>   // Disable default browser checking.
>   lockPref("browser.shell.checkDefaultBrowser", false);
>   // ========= LTSP SPECIFIC HACKS ========
>   // Disable annoying location-bar suggestion "feature" that is sludgy
>   // with thin-clients
>   lockPref("browser.urlbar.maxRichResults", 0);
>   lockPref("app.update.enabled", false);
>
> There is no explanation for extensions.update.enabled and
> app.update.enabled.  Can you provide more background info?

IIRC, app.update.enabled allows iceweasel to check for a new version.
This option should be set to 'false'.

extensions.update.enabled allows Iceweasel to check if updates of addons
and extensions are available. As users might have addons installed on
their own, this should be set to 'true'.

Wolfgang