Re: some feedback after alpha install

[Nigel Barker]
> Hi All,
>
> I installed a test tjener behind an ipcop. The ipcop originally was
> serving dhcp so that I could do the netinst.
> After first boot, I notice that tjener has reconfigured its networking
> correctly and is serving dhcp, so I disabled dhcp in the ipcop, then
> rebooted a test client (plain wheezy)

Very glad to see a test report.  Sound like you followed the right
procedure. :)

> Now I have some difficulties:
>
> 1. DNS is not working properly.
> The client on the test network can ping outside the school by ip
> address, but not by name. It can ping tjener by name and number, and
> the ipcop by number.
> The new tjener can't ping the ipcop by number, but it can ping the
> client by number! It can't ping outside at all.
> I'm a bit confused what to configure, because on the other side of the
> ipcop is the real tjener, with the same ip address.

This sound very strange, and do not happen in my testing.  What is the
output from running '/usr/sbin/debian-edu-test-install | grep error:'
as root?

> 2.The user I created during install can't login, though the home in
> home0 is there (I saw that earlier post). I had to do adduser from a
> root login on a tty. (couldn't change passwd for the existing user)

Did you use a very short password?  This sound like the problem that
d-i accept any password, but Kerberos reject too short passwords,
leaving us with a initial user that can't log into the desktop, but
probably can log in to Gosa.

> 3. There is nothing to do in gosa, other than "user settings /
> generic" which says it has no valid extensions. I logged in as admin
> using the root password. Nowhere to add users or machines.

You need to log in with the initial user to get privileges in Gosa.
The admin user do not have Gosa privileges.

--
Happy hacking