Re: Edu mainserver - raid

[Giorgio Pioda]
> Hi,
>
> given that I'll install a mainserver on real hardware (Yes, 99% I'll
> jump onboard), and given that I have HP-Proliant servers with
> hardware raid (cciss or whatever is called)...
>
> I hope I'll not start a terrible flame...
>
> Well I allways have the same doughts: 4 disks raid 0+1 or raid 5 (4
> disks, or 3 + 1 spare), or even other setups.
>
> Have you any recommendations?

At work, at the University of Oslo, we commonly use two disks in RAID0
as the operating system disk, and RAID5 on X disks for data.  I
believe the cause is to make sure the OS can be booted also without
RAID support in the hardware, and without a BIOS that understand
RAID5.  Also, this allow us to move the data disks to a different
server where the OS is already working, if we have to.

--
Happy hacking