Re: Edu mainserver - raid

On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 12:06:07PM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Giorgio Pioda]
> > Hi,
> >
> > given that I'll install a mainserver on real hardware (Yes, 99% I'll
> > jump onboard), and given that I have HP-Proliant servers with
> > hardware raid (cciss or whatever is called)...
> >
> > I hope I'll not start a terrible flame...
> >
> > Well I allways have the same doughts: 4 disks raid 0+1 or raid 5 (4
> > disks, or 3 + 1 spare), or even other setups.
> >
> > Have you any recommendations?
>
> At work, at the University of Oslo, we commonly use two disks in RAID0
> as the operating system disk, and RAID5 on X disks for data.  I
> believe the cause is to make sure the OS can be booted also without
> RAID support in the hardware, and without a BIOS that understand
> RAID5.  Also, this allow us to move the data disks to a different
> server where the OS is already working, if we have to.
>
> --
> Happy hacking
> Petter Reinholdtsen

I have only 4 disk slots, unfortunately... And for this setup a
minimum of 5 is fixed, I think.

I don't remember where and why, but time ago I've read that raid5 is not
the best choice for NFS mounts. But maybe my memory has been hitted
from cosmic radiations.

Actually, about NFS / LDAP / Kerberos load balancing. Are some
scripts available to use KDC / LDAP slaves and to add servers
into autofs maps?

Regards again

Giorgio

--