Generic Screenshots in all debian packages? // Re: golearn and debtags - something is wrong

Hello all,

Am Dienstag, 7. Mai 2013 schrieb Petter Reinholdtsen:
> [Andreas Tille]
>>  I tried goscience and noticed that there are way too less screenshots displayed.
> > I know we made some effort to have screenshots for most of the biology
> > related X applications but there are close to non available in
> > goscience.  What exactly is the procedure to obtain the screenshots?
>
> I believe it is "build a package with the screen shots included" and
> "make sure it is installed with goscience".  : games-thumbnails is one
> such package, which should be updated with the latest images for
> games.

wouldn't it be quite appropriate for golearn, and for Debian in general,
to look for a more generic way?

1. Packaging
There are already guidelines, what kinds of documentation is needed
to build a debian package, of course, some files are not compulsary
as they are not needed for any type of software, but:
How about introducing a guideline like: software packages providing
graphical applications (GUI) should come with at least one screen shot
that is named ... and situated in ...

2. Generic Screenshots with Make
Maybe this is going too far, just an idea to get a wide range of
screenshots in a generic way:
Add a build option to make that will start your application once
and save a screenshot to the default path for screenshots within
build tree.

Maybe the naive approach violates against privacy aspects (imagine
kmail was run and a screenshot of all your mails spread in a sudden).

With some build chains (like from qt-develop) there might be the
option to access resource files that were created by some GUI builder,
more versatile developers will know better.

Just two pence on my behalf,
Kind regards, congrats for Wheezy, thanks and see you,
Ralf