Re: new sections: education & metapackages

On 12-06-19 at 08:48am, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 03:43:47PM +0200, Holger Levsen wrote:
> > And now I wonder under which section to move the debian-edu*
> > packages to: "education" for all but those build from "debian-edu",
> > which belong under meta-packages? Or are they all metapackages as
> > their purpose is to setup an education distro and since they dont
> > contain educational software themselves?
>
> I'm personally in favour of education because I assume that's where
> users might seek first.  I have no idea whather I'm right with this
> assumption.
>
> BTW, did I said that Debian Edu packages need some more changes than
> just changing the section?

I would say the opposite.  Else "metapackages" would really mean
"metapackages of miscelanous topics not covered elsewhere" which I find
is not its purpose.

If "metapackages" is nonsense specifically for educational stuff, then
I'd be happy to hear examples of when it is sensible.

If, on the other hand, "metapackages" is generally considered nonsense
then I find it better to raise that discussion on debian-devel that by
discretely working against it.

Regards,

 - Jonas