Debian Edu Packaging Team

Hi all,

as some of you might have read between the lines I would like to set up a Debian Edu subteam that works on packaging Edu related software for Debian.

One objective is keeping the software we need for Debian Edu inside of Debian. Another is, of course, improving these packages and keeping them up-to-date. These tasks have been in the hands of individuals so far (i.e. the packages were person-maintained, not team-maintained). Another task maybe seeing to getting latest D-E related hotfixes into <stable>-proposed-updates.

The great advantage of team maintenance of Debian packages is that individual packagers can step back for a while and see to things in real life while (hopefully with a big team) others take over. Also, new people can join the team and help with maintenance without the need to take over a complete package immediately. Team maintenance can also be a good place to learn (how to provide software for Debian).

I personally got interested into continuing maintenance of some Debian Edu related packages, all of them have been single-person-maintained so far:

  slbackup
  italc
  smarty3 (required by GOsa)
  smarty-gettext, smarty-validate

These packages I would love to see maintained by the D-E packaging team. Also Miry asked for co-maintenance of Open Sankore (sankore), another fine task for such a team.

Hopefully, there are more packages to come and more people to join the D-E packaging team, a subteam of the Debian Edu team.

For the coordination of packaging work I set up a special mailing list on Alioth for the described-above task:

  debian-edu-pkg-team@lists.alioth.debian.org
  http://lists.alioth.debian.org/mailman/listinto/debian-edu-pkg-team

This mailing list should also be in the Maintainer:-field of D-E PkgTeam maintained packages.

For collaborative package maintenance I have also started setting up a Git area on Alioth (git.debian.org:/git/debian-edu). Commits to D-E-pkg-team maintained packages will be reported to

  mail: commits@skolelinux.org (this list might change later)
  IRC: #debian-edu on irc.debian.org

This Git area also hopefully becomes the place where we locate the debian-edu-* packages (the heart of our Skolelinux) soon.

Greets to all,
Mike

--

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM
mike gabriel, dorfstr. 27, 24245 barmissen

GnuPG Key ID 0xB588399B

freeBusy: