Re: Diskless clients: NFSv4 mounting with sec=krb5p and no machine creds

Hi

On Sun, Feb 05, 2012 at 10:35:08PM +0100, Andreas B. Mundt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Feb 05, 2012 at 05:25:20PM +0100, Giorgio Pioda wrote:
>
> > > The script executed right after authentication copies the user's
> > > Kerberos ticket to the file krb5cc_diskless which is owned by root.
> > > This ticket will be picked up by gssd to create the security context
> > > needed.  However, it's needed to restart autofs, I am not exactly sure
> > > why.  It looks like autofs caches failures in mounting a directory
> > > (which it tries earlier in the login process), and does not try again
> > > immediately when the ticket is available.
> > >

> > What about setting a delay in autofs?
> >

> How long?  I think entering the username triggers autofs (to read the
> user's configuration, for example which desktop he want's to start by
> default).  What if someone takes 15 seconds to enter his password, and
> someone else needs only 3 seconds?  Only if exactly at the right
> moment where pam gives the OK (i.e. the ticket is available) for login
> the autofs is triggered it will manage to provide the home directory.
> Imediatelly after that the user will have / as home (or might not be
> allowed to login on gdm).

It is pam that triggers autofs, I guess. Probably it is possible to
construct pam rules in such a way that your script is first executed
and only after this step aufofs is called, (either with libpam-script
or libpam-exec).

I've read around that such an hack has been
tested for EduUbuntu (thiny client based), but the guys didn't
publish the details.

> So I don't think that will work.  Did you have any success with the
>
>    verify_ap_req_nofail = false

Yes, but it seems to be false by default. I have to test it again; no
success until now.