Ready for beta2, release notes need updating (Was: Some notes on the Squeeze version of Debian Edu)
> The next test release, beta2, will be wrapped up this weekend, and I
> hope a lot of you will gather around to test it and see if it work for
> you. Single machine setups seem to work fairly well, so now we need
> to see how multi machine setups work. :)
I belive we are ready for beta2 now. I've added all the changes I hope
to get ready for beta2 into the packages now. As soon as beta2 is out,
I'll pick up the pace. :)
Anyway, the release notes need updates before we announce beta2. Is
there any highlights missing on
<URL:http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/ReleaseNotes>? This is the
Changes compared to beta1 version
- A warning is now issued when installing on too small disks for the profiles
- Default start page for iceweasel is now fetched from LDAP at installation
and boot time for networked profiles. Set to http://www.skolelinux.org/ for
- The home0 partition is now mounted nosuid, to increase security.
- More tests in the test suite, and correct some of the tests that failed
- Nagios no longer report problem with the kernel version after boot.
- Device access for the localadmin user is now handled by policykit and not
by adding the user to several groups during installation.
- The Kerberos KDC setup is now working again.
- Samba configuration is now working again.
- The LDAP server is now able to handle more clients after increasing the
servers file descriptor limit from 1024 to 32768.
- manual down from 31 FIXMEs to 29 (currently)
- The Roaming Workstation profile is now working again.
- Quicker shutdown of LTSP clients.
- Updated default web page content.
- GOsa now update DNS and NFS exports imediately when a system is updated in
LDAP, making diskless workstations work right after they are added to the
- Change KDE/Akonadi configuration to reduce the disk footprint of every user
from 144 to 24 MiB.
- Reinsert local NTP clock on the main-server to ensure clients and server
sync clocks also when disconnected from the Internet.
- Correct PXE installation setup and improve PXE menu.
- (... to be continued ...)
The list of known bugs need to be updated too, and I also believe we
need to put in a warning that those using beta1 need to reinstall to get
all the fixes included in beta2.