Re: debian-edu-config translation status (and call for help)

Hi,

Le 03/01/2012 07:50, Mike Gabriel a écrit :
> On Mo 02 Jan 2012 23:47:06 CET Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
>
>> This is the current translation status for debian-edu-config in svn:
>>
>> www translations
[…]
>> debconf translations
[…]

>> Note how the list of translations for www and debconf differ.  This is
>> because debconf translations are picked up by and tracked the i18n
>> team in Debian while the translations in www/ is not.

Actually, www is also tracked by the l10n teams [1, 2, 3, etc.].

  1: http://www.debian.org/international/l10n/po/pot#debian-edu-config
  2: http://www.debian.org/international/l10n/po/de#debian-edu-config
  3: http://www.debian.org/international/l10n/po/fr#debian-edu-config

In order to properly poke www translators, podebconf-report-po can even
be used (with the --podir option) the same way it's used to poke
po-debconf translators.

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/best-pkging-practices.html#s6.5.2.2

>> It would be great if someone was able to rewrite the build system for
>> debian-edu-config to be able to use one merged set of translation
>> files for both the debconf templates and the web page.

I disagree about the good idea: even if the file format is the same (the
PO gettext-like file), the purpose of these translations is a little bit
different (so the translators can be different), and furthermore, the
po-debconf files are handled their own way, so merging those
translations would means maintaining hacks around the classic dh way.

>> Is it possible
>> with the tools in Debian?

Using the gettext tools (msg* stuff) would allow that.

>> It would save us time poking translators and over time improve the
>> translation status of the web page. :)

As previously suggested, poking translators, translators lists and i18n
list is just a matter of one podebconf-report-po call. At worst, (like
now), if both files needs an update, it's just a matter of running the
same command twice (with one more option).

> Couldn't po4a be used for that? By what I have read probably yes,
> doesn't it?

It's not its purpose: its goal is to handle (and maintain) translation
of documentation (or web page ;-) easily and with the same tools (thus
with PO gettext-like file). Well, po4a ships its own msg* tool
(msguntypot) that makes it really easy to handle trivial unfyuzzy (note
to self: provide a patch to the dev-ref and document this easy way
instead of the two currently proposed).

Regards

David