Re: strange network-configuration on installation from cd-squeeze-test-amd64-i386-netinst

Hi,

On Donnerstag, 28. April 2011, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> It was choosen to ensure that the skolelinux code network could
> co-exist with other networks on the 10.* private segment as long as
> they stayed away from the 10.0.2.0/23 subnet.
[...]
> Using a full /16 network would make it impossible to co-exist with
> existing networks using any of the 10.0.* addresses.

I think those assumptions are flawed, we have mostly seen other things in real
life:

Usually it's either one of these three: (and as usual, exceptions prove the
rule ;)

a.) some setups are happy with our choise and use it.
b.) some setups need more than 500 addresses and change our network settings.
c.) some setups need to use different IP seetings and change our network
settings.

So IMO we should switch to a bigger network (and then I would probably
recommened 10/8 as its easiest to grasp (besides 192.168/24)) and document how
to change the network settings if needed. That, documentation, is probably
_the_ most important of them all.

cheers,
	Holger