Re: Gosa vs. CipUX

On Fri, Jan 07, 2011 at 02:39:42AM +0100, Christian Kuelker wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Klaus Knopper wrote:
> [...]
> > Sorry for potentially making this discussion longer than it should be...
> > Would you please explain to me, again, what "the CipUX people" have to
> > do, or failed to do, in order to get their working packages integrated
> > into Skolelinux? I think "the CipUX poeple" really _want_ to have their
> > stuff integrated into Skolelinux, but apparently don't know how the
> > magic is going to happen.
>
> Someone has to work closely with the international project together
>  by means of skole-SVN to add the CipUX package to the package list
> of Skolelinux (in SVN) and to add specific configuration changes of
> the Skolelinux configuration to the Skole-SVN.

OK. I finally understand, partly. So, every project that wants to be
integrated into Skolelinux, needs to migrate or duplicate its sources to
the "Skole-SVN". This is somewhat new to me, though I believed this has
been said before by someone, but it wasn't entirely clear. At least, I
was not aware of this requirement. So this now means that I will find
each and every package that is present on the Skolelinux DVD, in the
"Skole-SVN", including packages that are already in Debian right?

Either way, if nobody copies the current packageable versions CipUX over
to the required Skole-SVN, I now understand why it is not in Skolelinux.
So, it is indeed a problem of "the CipUX people".

This provides interesting opportunities, now that I know all that.

I would volunteer to integrate LINBO into Skolelinux, which we already
made a package for, for our Skolelinux installations. We have 1.2 GB of
sources for LINBO in our SVN on sourceforge, and about 800 MB of changes
are ahead for kernel 2.6.37 (LINBO needs the complete kernel, libc,
embedded QT, some utilities, all licensed under GPL, in order to be
rebuilt from scratch, while the package itself would only require the
two resulting kernel/initrd binaries of 20MB to be built). Can I just
transfer them over to the Skole-SVN and rebase my working checkout?

The same applies for italc-rlp, though the source for this is not that
huge. We can temporarily strip CipUX-Support from italc-rlp in order to
get rid of the dependency.

Can I get an SVN account for Skole-SVN for doing the integration?

> After this the building of DVD and possible installations problems
> have to be observed and fixed if needed.

Great. I assume there is a process for this that will notify the project
maintainers about what they have to do in order to fix integration
problems.

> No person is assigned to this task, so there is no progress.

Since I am not involved in CipUX, but in LINBO and italc-rlp, I would
like to get assigned to the task of integrating the latter two into the
Skole-SVN and into Skolelinux. What do I have to do, where do I apply?

> I can help such person, but I can not be the person. (I do not have
> so much time - and I am traveling always so I have no lab either.)

I understand. No pressure. It is just sad that Skolelinux is in
desperate need of a LDAP middleware, and CipUX could surely be a good
choice, but though so many people (including me) are nagging, nobody can
or wants to do the deed. Makes me think there may be a flaw in the
system somewhere.  ;-)

Regards
-Klaus