Re: Gosa vs. CipUX

Hi,

On Thu, Jan 06, 2011 at 01:01:57PM +0100, Mike Gabriel wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I want to grab one issue from the current NFS4+Krb5 thread that concerns me...
>
> In Germany there is quite an initiative around CipUX and Skolelinux
> going on. Now I read about Gosa being (probably) used for user and
> site management. Both systems probably have their pros and cons, but
> somehow they feel mutually exclusive to me. But maybe I am wrong at
> this point...
>
> Could someone just in short point out the current (and hopefully
> common) strategy around user and site management? Wiki-Links will of
> course suffice, if there are any...

Unfortunatelly, I think there is no common strategy. To keep a long
story short: After the Lenny release, it had to be decided which
administration tool might be the 'best' to be chosen for squeeze.

Candidates were LWAT used in lenny, unmaintained and with dead
upstream, GOsa, with upstream activities and support, but not
especially targeted for schools, and finally CipUX. As the CipUX
people seem to see no chance to integrate their work for reasons they
can tell you better, nobody active in the international project worked
on the integration of CipUX. (This is a rather critical point, and it
seems there are a lot personal feelings and the like involved ...).

So I started to give GOsa a try. One of the main reasons for me was
the use of available software and the idea that a project with limited
manpower should focus its coding activities on stuff that's special to
the goals (school specific stuff) and not already solved elsewhere
(general system- and user-administration). Further more, I hoped to use
features like FAI which allows more flexibility for schools which want
to customize their setup individually at a later stage.

In the meantime, I changed my view a bit. It looks like GOsa is only
seen as a temporary solution by a majority of the project. (Of course,
taking this attitude leads to a limping integration, nobody is interested in
polishing and improving the setup, it's perhaps even kind of spoiled by
demanding 'compatibility with other solutions', which in turn leads to
the fact that everybody handles it like something you don't like but
can't get rid of (yet)).

So if you ask me, I think as long as I am the only one supporting
GOsa, it will go away as soon as there is a working alternative
available.

Regards,

	Andi

Some pointers to the list (have a look at the threads, perhaps search the
archive for cipux, gosa etc.):

http://lists.debian.org/debian-edu/2010/03/msg00109.html
http://lists.debian.org/debian-edu/2010/05/msg00039.html
http://lists.debian.org/debian-edu/2010/07/msg00219.html