Re: Gosa vs. CipUX

On Fri, Jan 07, 2011 at 10:58:12AM +0100, Mike Gabriel wrote:
However, Andreas and I (or whoever else joins in for CipUX/SL or Gosa/SL) should then heavily coordinate our work and make sure even if working on two separate systems that we benefit from each others' work AMAP.

Yes!

Best way to ensure most Skolelinux users benefit from local improvements is to a) use the standard Skolelinux [DIT] whenever possible, and b) when not possible then coordinate any and all changes with Skolelinux developers - and consider stepping up to get involved yourself in developing Skolelinux.

Best way to ensure most Linux users benefit from local improvements is to a) use standard Debian packages whenever possible, and b) when not possible then coordinate any and all packaging development with Debian developers to ensure getting most possible of it into Debian - and consider stepping up and get involved yourself in developing Debian (no, you need not become an official Debian Developer to do that!).

(just in case it is not obvious to everyone still)

Kind regards,

 - Jonas

[DIT]: LDAP Data Information Tree - which should *not* (as is common for SQL databases) be dictated by the LDAP-using technical services, but instead ideally be modelled after the administrative structure of the underlying organization, i.e. the school.