Re: how to proceed with edu-squeeze changes

Hi,

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 09:53:18AM +0200, Holger Levsen wrote:
> very brief comments:
>
> On Mittwoch, 26. Mai 2010, Andreas B. Mundt wrote:
> > So that's the current status from my point of view. What needs to be
> > done now? I think we have to make one decision, the sooner the better:
> > Do we want to continue on that path with kerberos/gosa, or are there any
> > better alternatives?
> >
> > If we decide to move on, then we should try to do some wider testing
> > during install and make the changes available on the nolocal-dvd.
>
> we have moved on, right?
>
> So, we have decided to go this path, right?

Not yet completely, to give an update:

Kerberos is available now on the test DVD and the KDC is set up for
the main-server:

rsync -avzP ftp.skolelinux.org::cd-squeeze-test-dvd/debian-edu-amd64-i386-DVD-1.iso  debian-edu-DVD-1-squeeze.iso

(This image might break from time to time because we are still
"improving" the installation. Especially installations on real
hardware are always a good idea to make sure things really work.)

Unfortunatelly the gosa packages are still missing in debian of
today. I keep on asking the maintainer to finish them. I hope for this
week. So to test the gosa setup, you have to install lenny packages
available by adding:

deb http://oss.gonicus.de/pub/gosa/debian-lenny/ ./

to your sources list and install gosa (you can also install some
plugins for sudo, dhcp, etc., but to add users gosa is enough).
Anything should work out of the box with this package, point your
browser to www/gosa and log in as "super-admin" with your root
password.

In my tests user creation worked fine, the home directory and
principal are created, a mail is sent to the new user. Users can login
on tjener using Kerberos already.

As soon as gosa is available I will include the packages in the
installation. After that everybody should test and report her opinion
about gosa. Alternatives are refurbishing lwat or switch to/implement
cipux. I have not tested cipux (I tried some time ago but failed),
perhaps someone from Rhineland-Palatinate can report or provide a
setup howto for testers.

I personally like gosa because of its active upstream and its general
usability and potential (read
https://oss.gonicus.de/pipermail/gosa/2010-May/004553.html , the lower part
by cajus to get an idea about its potential).

However, in the longer run we need something providing a
"pedagogical" interface which to my knowledge cipux has or aims for.
I personally prefer to split this from general sysadmin tasks like
user and machine administration. We should try to profit from other
active community projects as much as possible. Coding done by our
community should be kept as small as possible to focus our limited
manpower onto stuff special to schools and the debian-edu
configuration, where we are on our own.

> Great.
>
> :-)

:-)