Re: mail system in debian-edu

On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 04:43:35PM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 04:27:07PM +0200, Andreas B. Mundt wrote:

I looked now for alternatives which allow Kerberos authentication, easy configuration and active upstream/packageing and found: dovecot:

http://www.dovecot.org/

From a first look it looks quite nice, and I will give it a try now.

Does anybody know more? Any comments, ideas or other valuable input?

Dovecot is my personal favorite.  Use it on all networks I maintain!

Pros: supports multiple storage formats, including Maildir and mbox
     supports multiple quota formats, including Linux filesystem quota
     includes LDA for tight Postfix→Maildir→imap integration
     supports sieve
     is policy compliant (unlike Courier!)

I now found the source to backup that last claim above: http://www.imapwiki.org/ImapTest/ServerStatus

The only other server succeeding the full testsuite, Panda IMAP, is a commercial fork of the reference IMAP implementation, UW IMAP[1].

In other words Dovecot is the *only* FLOSS imapd implementation known to succeed that testsuite.

 - Jonas