Re: java applications on thinclients don't work smoothly

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 12:43:41PM +0200, Philipp Huebner wrote:

On 10.05.2010 23:54, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
On Fri, May 07, 2010 at 04:57:53PM +0200, Philipp Huebner wrote:

Running java apps like
http://phet.colorado.edu/simulations/sims.php?sim=Circuit_Construction_Kit_DC_Only

on thinclients is a pain.

[snip]

Most likely this is related to use (or not) of shared memory (MIT-SHM).

[snip]

Now you got me confused. Or maybe I got you confused first.

In my case Diskless workstations are slow because the hardware has only little power.
As Thinclients they work fast, only certain pieces of software like
lazarus or java apps where bitmaps are moved around get stuck and
literally jump from the start to the end position - no smooth movement
possible.

At least for the java part I got a working solution:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-java/2010/05/msg00020.html

P.S.

It helps responding accurately if you more clearly emphasize what are the questions you raise, without wrapping them that much in complaints or frustrations of your experiences.

You're right, sorry. I wanted to describe the situation and didn't notice it sounded rather whiny than objective.

Well, if you were simply describing a situation, not asking any questions, then no wonder my response is confusing.

 - Jonas