Re: java applications on thinclients don't work smoothly

Hi,

On 10.05.2010 23:54, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> On Fri, May 07, 2010 at 04:57:53PM +0200, Philipp Huebner wrote:
>
>> Running java apps like
>> http://phet.colorado.edu/simulations/sims.php?sim=Circuit_Construction_Kit_DC_Only
>>

>> on thinclients is a pain. It's so not performing at all, dragging
>> objections or having animations running is worse than slow motion.
>>
>> It didn't matter which xserver I used - vesa, via, nv - they behaved
>> all the same.
>>
>> Now the joke comes: using the thinclient as a diskless workstation
>> makes the java app run perfectly smooth, but because it's a real
>> thinclient and hence low on performance, the boot process took very
>> long, apps took very long to show up, and playing youtube didn't
>> nearly work fluently.
>
> Most likely this is related to use (or not) of shared memory (MIT-SHM).
> As an example, Direct Rendering Interface (DRI) requires shared memory
> as I understand it.
>
> Diskless clients by design do not share memory. I suspect that you might
> get comparable speeds on "lowfat" clients even with locally executed
> applications, if you can tell them to disable use of MIT-SHM.
>
> For GTK applications like the Gimp you will pass the option --no-shm.
> There are probably similar options for Qt-based applications.

Now you got me confused. Or maybe I got you confused first.

In my case Diskless workstations are slow because the hardware has only
little power.
As Thinclients they work fast, only certain pieces of software like
lazarus or java apps where bitmaps are moved around get stuck and
literally jump from the start to the end position - no smooth movement
possible.

At least for the java part I got a working solution:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-java/2010/05/msg00020.html

> P.S.
>
> It helps responding accurately if you more clearly emphasize what are
> the questions you raise, without wrapping them that much in complaints
> or frustrations of your experiences.

You're right, sorry. I wanted to describe the situation and didn't
notice it sounded rather whiny than objective.

Regards,
--
 .''`.   Philipp Huebner <debalance@debian.org>
: :'  :  pgp fp: 6719 25C5 B8CD E74A 5225  3DF9 E5CA 8C49 25E4 205F