Re: How can we change the default iceweasel startup / home page?

On Saturday 23 January 2010 00:25 Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Jürgen Leibner]
>
> > Maybe, startup.homepage_welcome_url and / or
> > startup.homepage_override_url are a kind of preconfiguration we can
> > override with cfengine in prefs.js (user.js) as described at:
> > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Startup.homepage_welcome_url
> > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Startup.homepage_override_url
>
> Tried both, and neither did what I want.  They only take effect the
> first time firefox is started (or after an upgrade), while I want to
> change the default every time firefox start.

Sorry, I missed, that you want to change the default every time
firefox/iceweasel starts.

> > Perhaps is the DHCP Option 'option www-server 10.0.2.2;' usable for
> > that.
>
> Yes, thought it should really be an URL and not only a server
> address. Schools are going to want to specify full URLs to the school
> home page, and not all schools want to point to a toplevel page.
>
> > A dhcp client will fetch it, if you add it in the servers and the
> > clients config so that it will show up in the leases file. From
> > there it is possible to fetch it for configuration purposes with a
> > startup script.
>
> Is there some way to store a URL in that field?  The documentation I
> find specify that the www-server DHCP option need to be a host
> IP/name, and not an URL.

Maybe 'option default-url string;' which is claimed to be in use by
Apple Computers as 'man dhcp-options' says is good for a try?

Greetings, Jürgen Leibner

--
GnuPG Key ID: 0x37FF4410
Finger-Print: CF03 BA85 654D 0EED E161 3DD5 07FF 8246 37FF 4410