Re: Firmware

[Wolfgang Schweer]
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to this list and I'm testing today's netinstall-image (using
> usb stick) on some real hardware.
>
> All firmware-linux packages are available on cd, but only
> firmware-linux-free gets installed in the chroot. There should be
> firmware-linux-nonfree as well to make some hardware work out of the
> box, e.g. intel network cards (module e100 needs a binary blob).

Actually, the needed firmware should be found and installed
automatically by debian-installer on hardware that need it.  If this
do not work, there is a bug in debian-installer.  It has worked when I
tested it on my Dell aptops.

Can you provide the relevant installation log to see what went wrong
with your installation?

> firmware-linux will pull in both packages. I wonder if there is a
> reason against installing firmware-linux on the server and in the
> ltsp chroot? Policy?

It is not done because it should not be needed in the generic case.

Happy hacking,