Re: What is a 'VideoEditor'? (Was: Which video editor should we install by default?)

Hi Andreas,

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 10:32:45PM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Hi,
>
> after I read the recommendations for OpenShot as easy to use videoeditor
> I gave it a try.  *My* intent was to cut some sequences from an existing
> Video and making smooth transitions between the remaining parts.
> However OpenShot seems to support only the *creation* of a video from a
> set of images.  Either I have a totally wrong concept of a videoeditor
> or it is not easy to use (at least for me) or it is rather a
> video*creator*.

Once you find out that you acually have to use the mouse to drag & drop
(!) the files from the "imported video" widget into the "video track",
everything is easy. I'm sure this is documented somewhere, but I needed
some time to find this out, too. :-)

> Any hints what program to use to cut sequences from an *existing* video
> and shouldn't such a package not be recommended as well?

openshot should do well for this, provided that you have all codec
libraries installed that are needed for the videos that you want to
import or export, but you can also use ffmpeg on the commandline with
creative -ss starttime and -t duration options, if you just want to trim
a video quickly.

Regards
-Klaus