Re: More on the future LDAP admin gui in Debian Edu

Here is a short update on the LDAP admin status for Debian Edu based
on Squeeze.  The short summary is that we have no working alternative
for administrating the LDAP directory information, and basicly is in
an unreleasable state.

The Gosa option is the only option kind of working, but it only
provide admin GUI for users and groups.  It is missing netgroup,
powerdns and dhcp.  By reorganizing where we store the DHCP
information and switching to a gosa specific LDAP schema, we can get
it to administrate DHCP.  It is unable to handle powerdns info in
LDAP, and only support a bind9 related setup.  netgroup support is not
implemented at all.  The code for setting the Kerberos password
exposes the password to everyone looking at the output from ps at the
right time, and Gosa can not log in users using Kerberos so we will
have to have passwords both in LDAP and in Kerberos.

The LWAT option is not working at all.  Finn-Arne said he was going to
get a working version (presumably into Debian/Squeeze) some weeks ago,
but this is not in place so far.  There is support in the coe for
users, groups, netgroups, powerdns and dhcp.  There is no support for
using or updating Kerberos for passwords.

The Cipux option is still unknown.  I am not aware of anyone having
spent any time to get it working out of the box with Debian
Edu/Squeeze

So this comment is still true:

[Petter Reinholdtsen 2010-07-30]
> At the moment, we have no working LDAP adminstration tool in Debian
> Edu/Squeeze.  This is a problem that need to be adressed.

I was planning to make a alpha1 release and ask for tester of LTSP,
but then a bug causing DVD installs to fail (#595903) showed up, and
it was impossible to make the release. :( This should be fixed in
apt-setup version 1:0.47, but it is not in Squeeze yet.  When it is in
squeeze, I hope we can make a alpha1 release.

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholtsen