Re: Some notes on LTSP client boot speed

[Holger Levsen]
> I dont think the numbers you posted are slow, esp. not if compared
> with real world windows installations.

I recommend to do the test yourself on real hardware before you try to
compare any numbers with windows installations.

The numbers I posted for xen boot is not representative, but their
relative magnitude can perhaps be used.

I just tested with a Dell Latitude D505 as the server and a Dell
Latidue E6500 as a thin client, and the thin client boot there took 4
minutes 30 seconds.  This just confirmed my opinion that this is
release critical.

Of course I realise that you do not trust my judgement on what is
release critical or not, given your reply to my email.  It would be
easier for me to trust yours if you gained some experience on the
current state of the Debian Edu/Squeeze version by doing test
installations, running the installed system and worked on fixing the
bugs that are already known.

> If "everything" is considered criticial and thus being fixed, we
> loose track of the "really" critical things.

Yes.  Luckily, "everything" is not release critical.

> Also, a too high flow of changes prevents meaningful testing.

Did you test alpha0, and look at the set of user applications included
in the release?  So far only two testers showed up with feedback on
the package selection, and more is needed. :)

I plan for alpha1 to have working ltsp, and ask for feedback on the
diskless workstation and thin client setup.

Hopefully alpha2 will have a properly working LDAP setup so we can ask
for feedback on the main-server setup.

Happy hacking,