Re: Ping: Re: Cooperation between DebianEdu/Skolelinux and EdUbuntu ?

* Klaus Knopper <skolelinux@knopper.net> [100811 11:18]:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Aug 06, 2010 at 08:00:37PM -0400, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 06, 2010 at 02:01:07PM +0200, Rubén Romero y Cordero wrote:
> > >Hi,
> > >
> > >Business as usual never was as things are always in constant change:
> > >https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebianEdubuntu
> > >
> > >Additions/comments?
> >
> > I consider Ubuntu a user of Debian.
> >
> > I consider Skolelinux a user of Debian too, but one that is aiming
> > (and quite close to becoming) an integral part of Debian itself -
> > what we in Debian call a Debian Pure Blend.
>
> Sorry, I don't see that happen yet in the near future (Skolelinux aiming
> to be a pure Debian blend) considering all the changes and extras
> discussed on this list recently, including severe changes of LDAP
> schemata.

Your help is very welcome!

> > As such I see no point in collaborative packaging work being
> > conducted anywhere else than by simply packaging for Debian and then
> > consuming from there.
>
> I DO see a point in cooperating between distributions. A vast amount of
> patches and fixes in genuine Debian packages comes from the Ubuntu
> community nowadays, btw. In fact, I consider Ubuntu one of the largest
> contributors to the Debian base, like it or not.

To collaborate in packaging (!) its best done in packaging for
Debian.

So nobody here is against collaborating, as far as I see.

Skolelinux is since years collaborating witþ a lot of other Free
Software in schools solutions.

> Ubuntu has its own, well-working framework for schools. I would like to
> adopt parts of it, in code or at least ideas, if not for
> Skolelinux-international, then for Skolelinux-RLP, especially if they
> have

Did you checkout the edubuntu solution?

> - working, teacher/Admin-friendly filesysetem and printer quota support,
> - on-the-fly examination mode with network and filesystem ACLs,
> - better GUIs for teachers, students and admins in general,
> - easier ugradability than Skolelinux has right now.
>
> In return, I think that Ubuntu could make use of our extensions LINBO
> and italc-RLP; the alternative blind-friendly ADRIANE audio desktop,
> CATWeasel and CipUX set aside for a moment.  Unfortunately, we have been
> unable to find a DM willing to create official Debian-Packages from our
> installation sources, so we are still making our own. Maybe there are
> volunteers from Ubuntu?

If italc-RLP is as it is, it violates some impotant policy rules,
and that has to be changed.

> Regards
> -Klaus Knopper

Regards/AmicaLinuxement/Saludos/Viele Gruesse!
Kurt Gramlich
Projektleitung skolelinux.de
--
kurt@skolelinux.de