Re: PXE vs DVD installation - the package difference

[Nigel Barker]
> Hi Petter,

Hi. :)

> Seems like an endless struggle.

Yes, espesially since there are no-one really focusing on the set of
user applications we install and evaluating if they really make sense
or not.  The number of packages currently being installed by default
while providing the same or similar functionally make it obvious to me
that someone need to show up and focus on this task for it to improve.

Similar with Debian, where there seem to be no-one looking at the
whole picture regarding the desktop experience, and instead individual
maintainers make decisions that might make sense in isolation, but not
when the desktop is considered as a whole.

> What about my idea of switching to a usb installer? Then you could
> still have the netboot CD, or a <1GB SD card or stick for
> netbooting. However, for the full install you could aim for < 8GB SD
> card or stick. Of course if someone had an old 50GB usb drive handy,
> they could use that.

Sound useful.  I hope someone will work on it.  USB installs is useful
for many. :)

For the Squeeze release I believe we should also publish DVDs and
netinst CDs, and thus need to get the CD and DVD working for this
release. :)

> The beauty of this method is that the media size grows, so that
> future releases you could aim for < 16GB, etc. Another plus would be
> to not keep burning discs and throwing them away.

Yeah. :)

> I don't think it would be much work, since even I was able to use
> the lenny image to create a usb installer, following instructions on
> the debian installer page. The only problem I had was the installer
> searching for a CD during an ltspserver install.

I'm happy to bring you or any one else up to speed on the
autobuilding, if help is needed to get this done.

Happy hacking,