Re: PXE vs DVD installation - the package difference

On 10 August 2010 15:12, Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> wrote:
> [Petter Reinholdtsen]
>> As the DVD is already full, we would have to drop some packages from
>> our tasks or stop making dual-architecture DVDs (i386/amd64) to fit
>> all these on one DVD.

Hi Petter,
Seems like an endless struggle. What about my idea of switching to a
usb installer? Then you could still have the netboot CD, or a <1GB SD
card or stick for netbooting. However, for the full install you could
aim for < 8GB SD card or stick. Of course if someone had an old 50GB
usb drive handy, they could use that.

The beauty of this method is that the media size grows, so that future
releases you could aim for < 16GB, etc. Another plus would be  to not
keep burning discs and throwing them away.

I don't think it would be much work, since even I was able to use the
lenny image to create a usb installer, following instructions on the
debian installer page. The only problem I had was the installer
searching for a CD during an ltspserver install.

cheers

nigel