Re: How should we evaluate user applications?

2010/7/28 Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com>:
> [Andreas B. Mundt]
>> The "Gymnasium" in Germany takes at least 12 years and pupils start
>> school at about 6 years age. There are many pupils which are up to 18
>> or even 19 years old.
>
> It is similar in Norway now.  While I believe it would be fine to
> extend our target group downwards from 7 to 6 years, I believe it is a
> mistake to extend it upwards.  Not because I would not love to be able
> to cater for the needs of all schools teaching 16-19-year olds, but
> because I believe we are simply not able to do so at this time.
>
> As the pupils grow older, their needs on the computer side become more
> and more specialized, and it is unlikely that we will be able to
> provide all the tools needed by that the schools for 16-18 age group.
>
> This is the reason why we have always focused on the age group up to
> 16, and not tried to spread our resources thinner. :)
>
>> The opinion what the "best" tool is will probably differ from user
>> to user, from country to country. But at least we can think about
>> removing tools nobody considers "the best".
>
> Sure it will differ.  And that is why we need to be brave enough to
> make a decision and stick to it by choosing which one we believe it
> best, and drop other alternatives from the default installation.
>
> The DVD is overfull, and options increase congintive strain for those
> that need to select which tool to use and confuse those that want to
> to use Debian Edu.  Not making a choice is doing our users a
> disservice.

hi,
maybe I'm missing something here, but is there a reason why we can't
add a second DVD to Debian Edu Squeeze ?

I discovered Debian with Woody on 8 CD, Lenny has now 31 and this
week's testing has... 52 !?!  (who will burn 52 CDs ??) Can't we adapt
our distro to this always growing archive ?

Olivier