Re: Getting powerdns to forward all unsolved DNS requests to another DNS server?

[Finn-Arne Johansen]
> I think DebianEdu installs pdns-recursor, and this package replaces
> the setup in the old bind9 setup that caused the local server to
> query the root-servers.

Debian Edu installs and activate pdns-recursor, yes.

> In a "normal" (as in no DebianEdu) installation of pdns, it's
> easiest done be defining recursor=10.0.2.1 in
> /etc/powerdns/pdns.conf, or maybe in /etc/powerdns/pdns.d/pdns.local

Testing seem to indicate that this work.  Thank for the tip.  I guess
this should be mentioned in the documentation.

> Not sure how an automatic setup could resolv this. But my guess is
> that most gateway solutions already has a dns forwarder of some
> sort, so maybe it would be better to remove pdns-recursor ?

Perhaps test if external DNS work with the DNS server fetched from
DHCP if it fail when trying directly.  Should be possible to do in the
installer.

Redirecting the answer to debian-edu@, to make all developers aware of
this option.

Happy hacking,