Re: Time for a alpha0 release of squeeze-test images?

[Holger Levsen]
> How about we release a Squeeze Alpha during DebCamp, that is the
> last week of July, so roughly in 3 weeks?

I believe we need a lot of time after the first alpha to get feedback
and try to use that feedback to fix discovered issues before squeeze
freezes.  So I would have the first alpha release earlier, perferably
in a week, to give us several weeks to fix issues discovered.

Should we aim for a alpha release next weekend (July 16-18th)?

The LDAP structure is the biggest issue to figure before we should
upload to unstable, but I believe we should not wait for a resolution
before releasing the first alpha snapshot.  As I said in my inital
email, I believe we should focus on the user applications for the
first alpha, and focus on the main-server setup in later releases.

The reason I believe we should focus on user applications, is that
these are normally maintained by people outside the Debian Edu team,
and fixing them, adding translations or correcting menu items etc thus
involve a lot more time to get fixed.  If we should add a new user
application, we will need some time to ensure that they are translated
to the languages we care about etc. :)

Related wiki pages are
and <URL: http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/NewLDAPStructure > for the
LDAP structure.

I recommend using the jxplorer program to browse the LDAP structure
when installing Debian Edu/Squeeze.

Happy hacking,