Re: Cooperation between DebianEdu/Skolelinux and EdUbuntu ?

On 8 June 2010 05:56, Arnt Ove Gregersen <arntogle@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> The board of the Norwegian FRISK ("Free software in the schools")
> organization that helps fund DebianEdu/Skolelinux development has received a
> request from the Norwegian Edubuntu community to look into how we can better
> cooperate.
>
> The board have concluded that we would like to invite them to join our
> developer gatherings and hopefully to be part of FRISK if the
> DebianEdu/Skolelinux community does not disagree.
>
> We know that there are people that have not been that happy with how Ubuntu
> have operated before by making some extra work and "noise" for Debian
> package maintainers and not contributed their translation back to the
> community upstream etc. Hopefully this is something that has been or can be
> changed.
>
> If you have any opinions on this matter, we would appreciate that you let us
> know. You can send a reply back to the lists (public reply) or reply back to
> the board only styret@friprogramvareiskolen.no (not public) .

It seems crazy to me that an edubuntu workstation integrates worse
than windows into a skolelinux network. If there is only one thing
that happens, please make it be that.

Why do we need edubuntu machines? - because sometimes ubuntu just
works on newer or unusual hardware (eg. netbooks), saving hours of
struggle for unskilled IT coordinators like me.

Also edubuntu have done a lot of work on local apps for thin clients
that is missing from skolelinux. It would be good if we could plug an
edubuntu ltspserver into a skolelinux network and it just worked. I
imagine this is just dreaming, but I can always ask, right?

For sure edubuntu would benefit from tjener. I have never understood
why they don't use it.

Good luck everyone!

nigel