Re: Anyone willing to maintain Debian Edu related packages currently missing in Debian?

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 11:45:57PM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> There are several closed ones where the package never made it into
> Debian as well.

We are also listing closed ITPs / RFPs.  This just enables us to keep a
record of software that people were interested in for some reason.  If
the interest becomes stronger those interested people can cherry-pick
from our list.

> Yes, this is a good idea if we could get it to work.  We already have
> the infrastructure and a few packages.  Not sure what could be done to
> attract more maintainers thought.  At the moment my impression is that
> we do not have the man-power to maintain more packages.

I mean it the other way around: We currently *have* people who are
maintaining educational software but do not show up on Debian Edu list
or are woking to my knowledge together with Debian Edu.  If you create
an alioth project and provide a Vcs to store their maintenance stuff
there and use the related mailing list as Maintainer and the former
Maintainer as Uploader you have two advantages:

  - you gain some control over the packaging (and are able to easily
    fix bugs, update to recent version)
  - you are engaging those manpower closer to your project

If you look at Debian Science or Debian Med policy ([1],[2]) you find a
reasonable sample how to design a policy for such a group and I would
try to get all not yet team maintained educational packages into group
maintenance (for the reasons given above).  I would definitely NOT fight
about packages with Debian Science or others because there is clearly an
overlap and if another team is caring nicely - that's less work for you.

Since I wrote the tasks pages and was easily able to see what packages
are team maintained and what not and I kindly asked the single
maintainers to join our team I would say that the quality of our
packages has increased a lot while at the same time the workload was
shared between more shoulders.

> Also, several of the packages on our wishlist are not really
> educational (like hermes and sssd above), but general infrastructure.
> BTW: Not quite sure why hermes is listed there.  It is not mentioned
> in any of our tasks.

What I said above is actually not really applicable to such more
general tools - even if I wished we could find a reasonable team (say
Debian Infrastucture, perhaps Debian Enterprise?) which would care for
things like this.

Kind regards

        Andreas.

[1] http://debian-science.alioth.debian.org/debian-science-policy.html