Re: GUI to ldap administration

On Wednesday 10 March 2010 09:38 Holger Levsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> (replying to the admin tool aspect will have to remain on my todo
> list a bit longer..)
>
> On Mittwoch, 10. März 2010, Nigel Barker wrote:
> > What I would like to be improved (more than lwat) is slbackup.php.
> > I have failed to backup to another machine on Etch and now Lenny.
> > It would be fantastic if I could manage to do that through
> > slbackup.php
>
> I wondered the other day why we install slbackup(-php) when we
> appearantly dont even know how to use it (or at least, write good
> documentation for it, see
> http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Documentation/Lenny/Maintainance#Bac
>kupManagement)
>
> It seems to me backuppc would be a much better solution for
> our "out-of-the-box"-target-audience. Quoting it's homepage:
> "Features include clever pooling of identical files, no client-side
> software, and a powerful Apache/CGI user interface." and especially
> the last one seems like a real win to me (and I know from experience
> thats it's indeed powerful and intuitive to use), while it keeps the
> features we need: rsync backup and configuration via textfiles too.
>
> Probably it's wise to tackle one problem at the time, and the admin
> tool is definitly the more pressing issue we have, but maybe someone
> wants to investigate this... or Nigel could give backuppc a try and
> report back his results.

Only as a reminder and hopefully I remember correctly:

A long time ago  in 2007, I wrote initially for sarge I think:
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/HowTo/BackupPC

It has been discussed in IRC.
At the end, nobody was found to preseed it and make the work to
integrate it. So only this can be found
in 'src/debian-edu/debian/changelog':
   - Ignore backuppc, to get it on the DVD.

Greetings, Jürgen Leibner

--
GnuPG Key ID: 0x37FF4410
Finger-Print: CF03 BA85 654D 0EED E161 3DD5 07FF 8246 37FF 4410