Re: GUI to ldap administration

On Wednesday 10 March 2010 09:38 Holger Levsen wrote:
> Hi,
> (replying to the admin tool aspect will have to remain on my todo
> list a bit longer..)
> On Mittwoch, 10. März 2010, Nigel Barker wrote:
> > What I would like to be improved (more than lwat) is slbackup.php.
> > I have failed to backup to another machine on Etch and now Lenny.
> > It would be fantastic if I could manage to do that through
> > slbackup.php
> I wondered the other day why we install slbackup(-php) when we
> appearantly dont even know how to use it (or at least, write good
> documentation for it, see
> http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Documentation/Lenny/Maintainance#Bac
> It seems to me backuppc would be a much better solution for
> our "out-of-the-box"-target-audience. Quoting it's homepage:
> "Features include clever pooling of identical files, no client-side
> software, and a powerful Apache/CGI user interface." and especially
> the last one seems like a real win to me (and I know from experience
> thats it's indeed powerful and intuitive to use), while it keeps the
> features we need: rsync backup and configuration via textfiles too.
> Probably it's wise to tackle one problem at the time, and the admin
> tool is definitly the more pressing issue we have, but maybe someone
> wants to investigate this... or Nigel could give backuppc a try and
> report back his results.

Only as a reminder and hopefully I remember correctly:

A long time ago  in 2007, I wrote initially for sarge I think:

It has been discussed in IRC.
At the end, nobody was found to preseed it and make the work to
integrate it. So only this can be found
in 'src/debian-edu/debian/changelog':
   - Ignore backuppc, to get it on the DVD.

Greetings, Jürgen Leibner

GnuPG Key ID: 0x37FF4410
Finger-Print: CF03 BA85 654D 0EED E161 3DD5 07FF 8246 37FF 4410