Re: lenny release timeline canceled by constant changes

Dear all,

reading today's mails about the (non-)release-plan I would like to
share some thoughts. As a newcomer to the project I do not know if I
am qualified to do so. If you think I am not, I beg your pardon. But
on the other hand I might have some views from outside:

Continuity and EOL for etch: I think that as long as lenny is better
than etch we should really try to release before etch retires. Having
a system unsupported without a successor is _really_ bad.

Additionally, I heard about schools (Rheinland-Pfalz?) which already
run "home-made" Debian Edu combinations including lenny. So I have the
impression that it's really _EOL_ for etch. It's simply an old
distribution.

Remaining bugs: Things in general and probably (complex) software in
particular will never be perfect. There will be bugs, sure. But there
will be bugs forever. How long is the expected life of lenny? If
squeeze is released this year why not trying to release the "perfect"
Edu-squeeze pretty soon afterwards, and have lenny as an in-between
step?

If I recall the atmosphere last night on IRC and consider the amount
of work done today on the documentation: I have the feeling that many
of us are highly motivated to improve things and prepare a good release.
But to keep this spirit alive it's important to finish this work soon,
to see a goal which can be achieved in the near future. You can ride a
horse to death.

It would be an extreme pity to see all this motivation collapse into
frustration, dispute, disappointment and bad feelings. And that is the
worst bug ever.

Come on! You all have come so far. It's a pleasure to have a
Skolelinux network running in my virtual machines! Let's finish lenny
and after that head for an improved point release or a perfect squeeze.

Regards,

	Andi