Re: Bits from the release team and request for discussion

On Monday 03 August 2009 02:03:10 Steffen Joeris wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Aug 2009 06:12:30 am Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> > On Sun, Aug 02, 2009 at 09:52:01PM +0300, Oded Naveh wrote:
> > >- Could we skip Lenny? Why?
> > >- Can we not skip Lenny? How?
> >
> > Those seem equal questions to me.
No, these  are not equal nor are complementary. But perhaps need some
clarification :-)
The former is about whether it's permissible to skip a release,
considering -why- things like:
> The question here is not so much the upgrade path, because debian-edu
> doesn't support upgrades, we advice people to reinstall.
>
> However, support (especially security support) is an issue and with that in
> mind, etch is supported until February (one year after the release of
> lenny), by which time we'd need to have a lenny solution.
The later is about whether it's possible to release Lenny before the upcoming
freeze, considering -how- it's state and our resources and the impact of
releasing shortly before (or after) the freeze on the next release cycle.

Odd.