Re: Pushing kde4 into testing

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 10:26:25AM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 10:53:37PM -0700, Vagrant Cascadian wrote:

> >> would it be possible to lower the dependency to a recommend on
> >> libqt-perl, as it should still get installed by default if available
> >> (i.e. the lenny-based debian-edu), but allow kde4 to progress into
> >> squeeze...
>

> Recommends are recommended at a the package level, but required at the
> distro level.  Or so I believe (although I failed to locate it in Debian
> Policy).

i think it was a release goal, but i'm not sure it's actually a blocker to get
into testing. we should find out.

> >> alternately, even though debian-edu focuses on KDE, what about
> >> putting in a "libqt-perl | libgnome2-perl" dependency, and fall back
> >> to the GNOME frontend if libqt-perl is not available?
>
> I believe that the _first_ item in a list of multiple recommendations
> must be satisfiable.
>
> In other words, I suspect above approach might not work for getting the
> package into testing and stable, even though it works with apt-get and
> aptitude.

i'm not so sure on that; we should find out for sure.

> >i committed a third alternative to svn: changed the dependency to
> >"libqt-perl | xdialog" and set DEBCONF_FORCE_XDIALOG=true. this should
> >still default to the kde debconf frontend, but if that isn't available,
> >it should then fall back to using the dialog frontend with Xdialog
> >(which has fewer dependencies than libgnome2-perl)... though i haven't
> >tested it yet. :)

well, that sounds like a dead-end, as xdialog isn't in testing/unstable.
that'll teach me to develop on stable. :)

> Perhaps also add support for libwx-perl-dialog-perl and/or use
> libui-dialog-perl.

i don't see in the debconf(7) man page any way to enable this interfaces, and
debconf doesn't suggest either package.

since i don't want to dive into debconf code, i re-wrote the code to use
libgnome2-perl as a fallback. uploading to skolelinux repository for
testing. if it works, i'll need a sponsor to get it into debian.

live well,
  vagrant