Re: DNS in LDAP

Hello,

Am Mittwoch, den 13.05.2009, 12:30 +0200 schrieb John S. Skogtvedt:

> I've committed support for DNS to lwat (r842), which means that DNS
> entries are updated when adding/deleting/modifying a host (as long as
> $dnsbase and $updateDNS are set in config.php).
Thank you for this work.

Do you plan a release of lwat or how does your improvements go into the
test dvd .... image?

> Previously bind generated DNS entries for staticXY and ltspXYZ, now no
> such names are in DNS.
> Would it be a good idea to add at least a few such template entries to
> the DNS ldif?
Yes I think so the complete configuration of tjener, ldap .... and all
static, ltspserver, ... hosts. So the school admin must only add his MAC
addresses with lwat.
So the most configurations are equal. So it is easy to understand
problems in other configurations. That is a feature of debian edu to
work out of the box. Sometimes it looks like a bug but use other IPs or
DNS domains may be more imported than individual host names.
May be the printer will be get better names. :-)

> Or in the case of ltspXYZ, maybe the whole range? I think few people are
> interested in manually adding thin clients.
I think you are right.

> "host tjener" returns both found and not found (twice):
>   # host tjener
>   tjener.intern has address 10.0.2.2
>   Host tjener.intern not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
>   Host tjener.intern not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
>
> I think that's a bug? It doesn't seem to break name lookup though.
I have seen the same problem after I switched from bind to powerdns.
May be a problem of powerdns? I has not debug it and I do not understand
what "host" try to find after he has find the host.

regards Andreas