Re: have thin clients had their day?

Hello Nigel,

I do see a bright future of thin clients. Ok - I'm a developer of a
open thin client environment (x2go), so I'm not neutral in my opinion,
but I really think there are some big advantages of server based
computing. In my case I'm really working every day on my central
server - sometimes with a thin client as we know it (diskless), some
times even on a cellphone connection and this is the big advantage
(and I can reconnect to the same session and resume it).
Today it may be ok to set the borders of a classroom to the room in a
building, but in future I really think, that students and teachers
should be able to access their desktop environments from where ever
they are - because companies will do it this way too.
A lot of people - including us - are working on the "multimedia
problem" with the most recent version of our project you even can use
skype installed on a server.
Red Hat has spend a lot of money on SPICE and there are some other OSS
solutions which in future could be combined with LTSP too. Regarding
your experience with LTSP I would like to point out, that we've
noticed that KDE4 is running very smoothly on terminal servers.
I hope the apperance of our project name is ok (as our project is part
of the "rheinland pfalz musterlösung" which is [based on] skolelinux).

Best Regards,

Heinz