The default PXE configuration for clients (Was: have thin clients had their day?)

[Holger Levsen]
> I think that machine will boot diskless workstation on the next boot
> automatically - but I need to confirm this first :-)

This is not implemented.  I discussed different approaches with
Finn-Arne during the last developer gathering, but nothing is
implemented so far.

Changing the default for the client in question is probably a fair
enough solution, though I would love to have a tftp server doing this
dynamically instead of having to generate a lof of files on disk to
select the default.

Finn-Arne said a common setup on his sites were to specify sections of
the subnet for thin clients and diskless workstations, and then select
the default setting using the DHCP configuration.  It might be a
better alternative, but require more changes to the current DHCP
setup.

> On the 192.168.0 network the machines will boot as thin clients per
> default - maybe we should change this to diskless workstations per
> default?

This is fairly easy to do, if we want it.  Either diskless
workstations or the PXE menu are good options.  On the other hand, it
can be done using the DHCP configuration too, so perhaps the admins
should make this decision?

Happy hacking,