Re: DHCP & IP ranges (10.0.2.0/22?)

2009/11/28 Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com>:
> [RalfGesellensetter]
>> the current configuration allows over 500 clients (given
>> 10.0.2.0/23), however I wonder if it was a big deal to just double
>> that range by making it 10.0.2.0/22?
>
> It is some work, but it is not a very big deal.  Note that it will be
> 10.0.0.0/22.  I suspect we would be better off by moving the subnet
> location too if we are to change addresses.

When you say "/22", you are saying "the last 10 bits of address are
the number of the machine, in the net".
In this form:
10.0.0.0
00001010.00000000.00000000.00000000
00001010.00000000.000000-00.00000000
^-----subnet  22 bits-----------^ ^--machine--^

So, the "2" in "10.0.2" fit inside the machine number and not in the
subnet.
The third digit could be 0, 4, 8, 12 and so on, any number not using
the last 2 bits (and less than 253).
Hope this help.

--
Jorge A Secreto